Friday, April 10, 2015

As a follow up to an earlier post, I'd thought I'd share a few process shots of my painting for two 1/16 scale heads for anyone who is interested. I always paint my faces in oils. Oils gives me a blending capability I just can't seem to find in acrylics. I start by priming the heads, coating with an acrylic flesh coat, then applying a wash of burnt umber. I light that dry for a day or two until it is completely dry. Next I use Naples yellow, White, Red, and Burnt umber for my flesh tones. First step is a light coat of very pale flesh as evident in pic 2. I follow up with Burnt Umber shading, going into the groves and crevices where the wash has already gone into. I'm just accenting the natural curves of the face. This has more to do with sculpting than painting. Next I start to use the red around the cheek bones and begin dappling out giving the whole face more of a living flesh look. Since I always start the red from the cheek bones the face begins to get an even look. A bit more umber for accent followed by some white on the highlights and done. I put these heads in a slow cooker overnight for drying and setting. I'll spray of coat of flat top coat later to take out that final oil sheen. Hope this helps anyone interested. Questions always welcomed!

April 10, 2015 at 01:39PM via Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment